Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Recipe Wednesday - Stir Fried Pork

Anyone who knows me knows I love Chinese food - any kind. Perhaps it comes from growing up in a small thow that really was known for it's Chinese Restaurants One in particular was the Pagoda- and it had been around for a long time- Their Chinese food was just wonderful, and even today, I can't find anything like it. Oh yes, there are good Chinese restaurants, but somehow it just doesn't have that Pagoda zing!

It hasn't been unusual for me to eat Chinese food 4-5 times a week. In restaurants, takeout or even made at home. Over the last year or so, I've found I can't really do restaurant Chinese as it raises my blood sugar, too high, too fast and for too long, even if I avoid the obvious like Rice or chow mein or chow fun...so I had about resigned myself to not eating much Chinese-

A couple of weeks ago I was in the check out line at the grocery store, and saw one of those ever present recipe books and it was calling to me. Chinese Favorites, fast, easy fresh. It was only $3.99 so I decided to try it. I've been trying the recipes ever since, and am really enjoying it. I can control the sodium, sugar and anything else that's "bad" for you- and my blood sugar is doing just fine.

This is the recipe I had for dinner on Sunday - and I will make it again!

Stir Fried Pork with Green Beans & Baby Corn
(Serves 4)

3/4 pound Pork tenderloin
1 Tbs Cornstarch, and 1 tsp Cornstarch
2 TBS Soy Sauce
1 Tbs rice wine or dry sherry
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/3 C water, 2 Tbs Water
2 Tbs peanut oil
1 pound green beans cut into 1 1/2 in pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
1 Tbs black bean sauce
1 can (14 oz) baby corn, rinsed and drained

1. Slice pork across grain into thin slices, cut slices into 3/4 inch strips

2. Combine 1 tsp cornstarch, soy cause, rice wine, sugar and sesame oil in medium bowl, mix well. Add pork, toss to coat. Set aside to marinate 20-30 mins. Combine remaining 1 TBS cornstarch and 1/3 C water in small bowl, set aside.

3. Heat 1 TBS peanut oil in wok or large skillet over high heat. Add beans, stir fry about 4 minutes. Add remaining 2 Tbs water, reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until Crisp-tender. Remove from wok, set aside

4. Heat remaining 1 TBS peanut oil in wok over high heat. Add garlic, giner and pork; stir-fry about 3 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Add Black bean sauce, stir fry 1 minute

5. Return green beans to wok. Stir cornstarch mixture; add to wok.Bring to a boil, cook until saue thickens. Stir in baby corn, heat through and serve. Steamed rice is a nice addition.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chris and I have tried the WanChai Ferry kits - found in the grocery store near the Chinese food - the orange chicken and the kung pao chicken are both good. Also very easy to make. I love Chinese food too!